Monday 23 January 2012

The Hebden 2012

The Hebden 2012

Having done the Two Crosses short course in 2011, I was keen to do another Long Distance Walkers Association (LWDA) event. I knew that I would be guaranteed a friendly welcome and as much food as I could eat, all included in the very reasonable £9 entrance fee. I opted for the 22 mile long course and more worryingly than the distance, a whopping 4,500 foot plus of ascent and descent.

The LWDA have welcomed fell runners to their events for a number of years and high profile events like the Hebden now have more runners than walkers, with around 180 runner and a further 100 walkers entered for the longer challenge. It is also worth remembering that these events are not races, but that doesn’t stop people trying to come as near to the front of the field as possible. The field looked to have no shortage of fast runners.

An early start got me to registration in Mytholmroyd for around twenty past seven, where I found a rapidly filling community centre. I picked up my number, a little tag to wear around my neck on a piece of string and got chatting to the various other runners from local clubs at I knew. Sipping on my sports drink I was aware that my stomach hadn’t really settled and I was feeling a little bloated, but it wasn’t a race and the terrain would dictate that I wouldn’t be going very fast.

It was getting light as we gathered outside ready for an eight o’clock start, despite being mild, the wind made it quite chilly in a thin long sleeved running top. My plan was simple, try and follow Scott Sadler from Middleton Harriers, firstly Scott is a better fell runner than me and secondly, he knew the route, which I didn’t.

We were started very informally on the chime of eight o’clock and I settled in just behind the leading group, the first mile was fairly flat, following trails out of the village and down the valley, but the pace was fast and my stomach didn’t like it, I was also starting to regret carrying a rucksack with full waterproofs and an extra top, where I could of got away with my small bum bag with just my waterproof jacket and the map.

I shadowed Scott to the first major climb, at which point he pulled away. Quite a few runners overtook me on the climb as I struggled with the discomfort of my stomach and a general lack of energy, probably due to not enough sleep the previous night. I settled into a steady pace and people were no longer passing me.

By the eight mile point, I did not always have people to follow and had to either get the map out or in some cases a runner who knew the way would catch up and I would follow. I probably lost five minutes over the course of a few miles due to not being familiar with the route, but at least I got a bit of a breather. At ten miles the route descended on a steep track down to the valley bottom close to Callis Bridge, I really struggled on the descent, one I had stormed down a few weeks earlier when recce’ing leg 2 of the Mary Towneley, my stomach was still holding me back.

I stopped for a minute at the checkpoint and had a drink, but declined the large array of food available. One of the marshals commented that I looked like I had a limp, but I am pretty sure it was just holding back because of my stomach. Across the road and the start of a long ascent, steep at first but then more gentle and again a few delays whilst route choices were made. Up on Hebden Moor the wind was very strong making progress difficult. Once over the top of the hill a long gradual descent allowed me to stretch my legs a bit and overtake a couple of runners.

The checkpoint at fourteen miles marked the point where the short course runners and walkers headed back to Mytholmroyd. I had a quick drink and headed on my way up another hill. Again I was struggling a bit with the route and feeling pretty knackered, I was overtaken by a small group of runners and the next couple of miles where a real struggle.

At the next checkpoint I grabbed a slab of chocolate cake and allowed the wind to blow me up a hill as I ate it. Heading over the moor, the wind was blowing so hard I could not run in a straight line, but another long gradual descent meant I was able to speed up and start overtaking the group that had passed me earlier. Getting closer to the twenty mile mark, there was just one last raise and then a run down the valley side where I manage to pull away from those I had passed, followed by a trail back into Mytholmroyd.

I stopped my watch at four hours and ten minutes in forty-ninth place, reasonably happy, but aware that I could do better. I have already decided that I want to run it next year, when I will know the way, will reduce my kit a bit and hopefully the wind, mud and my stomach will be a little kinder. My target for 2013 will be under three hours and forty minutes.

I registered my finish and got myself a very welcome hot meat pie. My legs felt pretty shot and very tight, but luckily free professional sports massage had been arranged for those that wanted it and a very nice lady spent twenty minutes inflicting unimaginable torture in order to loosen up my calves, it must have worked, because I managed to run the hilliest eight miles of the Mary Towneley loop the next day.

3 comments: