Thursday 7 July 2011

Sensitive Stomachs


Not for the first time, I had a race performance ruined by stomach cramps the other night.

I was running in the Rochdale Harriers 10k, a tough hilly course, which I was aiming to run a sub 40 on. The forecast was for cool temperatures and rain showers, come the start it was warm and humid. Things started well, after two miles, including the toughest hill on the course, I was comfortably running at just under thirty-nine minute pace. Over the next mile I started experiencing increasing amounts of stomach pain, I slowed a little, but went through 5k in 19:40, still OK.

My second 5k was a disaster. My Garmin was telling me that I had slowed to below seven minute mile pace and the cramping was becoming more and more uncomfortable. At four and a half miles I had to stop running and walk for thirty yards, feeling a little better I managed to run to the finish, but at a little below the pace I would hope to achieve over the last mile and a half of 10k. I crossed the line in 41:09, having run the second 5k nearly two minutes slower than the first. Whilst I am a fast starter, I tend to run races pretty evenly, so this was very disappointing.

So why did it happen? I doubt it was just the heat, I don’t run particularly well when it is hot, but it was warm rather than hot and I have run in hotter conditions without any problem. I have two theories, both relate to hydration.

The first is simply that I did not hydrate enough. Expecting cooler and wetter weather, was I too casual about my hydration. The only drink I had in the two hours before the race was a sip of water, had I drunk enough during the day?

My second theory is that the drink I chose to hydrate with did not suit my stomach. I am not particularly loyal to any brand when it comes to sports drinks, so during a day which involved lots of rushing around, I picked up a couple of bottles of Lucazade Sport, the only choice in the shop I went in. I always find the flavouring quite strong with Lucazade and on this occasion it felt quite harsh on my stomach. Did this cause my problems later on?

So what have I learnt? Hydrate properly and be careful what with, I think I might experiment with a few brands and stick with the one that suits me best.

Will it make a difference? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment